Rugs that cover only a part of the floor are called area rugs. Unlike carpets that cover a wider portion of the room, area rugs mainly covers a small section of the room. These rugs are mainly used for décor purposes and come in a variety of shapes which includes, but is not limited to, rectangles, squares and circular shapes. It is also common to find rugs in the shape of baseballs, flowers and cartoon characters etc which are mainly used in kid’s room. Even though area rugs are used as décor pieces they serve various other purposes as well:
- The main purpose of area rugs is to provides a touch of warmth and coziness to the room especially those with hardwood or tile floors.
- It helps to define separate spaces within a larger room. For example, a large living room can be divided into a formal and casual area with the help of area rugs. Rugs in contemporary style with clean lines and geometric patterns can be used for formal setting; whereas rugs with bright colors and floral prints can be used for a casual setting.
- They are ideal for use in places where the climate fluctuation is common. Unlike carpet, it is easy to roll it back and forth depending on the climatic conditions.
- Area rugs are the most preferred form of carpeting in children’s room as they are easy to wash and clean.
- Area rugs can be used to distract from the existing flooring of a room if the flooring has some defects.
Since Area Rugs play a significant role in glamorizing the look of a room, certain factors are to be considered while selecting and using them:
- The size and placement of the rugs should be given due consideration. Small to medium sized rugs can be used as a décor piece or along with furniture placed on a part of the rug. These rugs are ideal for use in bathroom, kitchen etc. Larger rugs are typically used in living or dining areas along with furniture. While placing rugs, make sure that the corners or edges of the rug do not protrude into the pathway to avoid the danger of tripping.
- If the rug is placed underneath furniture, it is a good idea to use a furniture coaster under the legs. This will distribute the weight of the furniture over a large area of the rug instead of concentrating on a small area.
- When it comes to bedroom décor, it is wise to use multiple area rugs on both side of the bed instead of a single one whose major portion will be concealed under the bed.
- When rugs are used in heavy traffic areas like hallways, staircases and so on, it is better to look for a ones with patterns in bold color as it makes the traffic pattern (in the form of footprints) less noticeable. Hand woven rugs are considered to be more durable and are ideal in such areas.
- Even though area rugs are meant to be used on the floor, there are times when they are used as wall art; especially the small area rugs with geometric or floral patterns.
Author Bio: The author Susan Johns is a freelance content writer specializing in home/interior décor writing. With over 5 years experience in the field of furniture and home decor, she has written numerous articles and blogs in this area. Please visit her blog http://decoreview.com